High Definition Dentistry® can provide the ultimate solution to your smile problem so that in the years to come, your smile can continue to reflect your inner beauty.
Oral Cancer Screening & Symptons - Frequently Asked Questions
More Than 30,000 People Are Diagnosed With Oral Cancer Each Year
If discovered in its early stages, oral cancer is 90 percent curable!
- More than 30,000 people are diagnosed with oral cancer each year.
- Eight thousand Americans die annually from oral cancer, making it more deadly than cervical, brain, or skin cancer.
- More than 50 percent of patients diagnosed with oral cancer will die within 5 years.
- Ninety percent of oral cancer patients are age 40 or older. Age is the primary risk factor.
- Patients younger than 40 years of age are considered high risk if they have contracted human papillomavirus (HPV).
- Users of any smoking or chewing tobacco, currently or within the past ten years.
- Users of one or more alcoholic drinks daily, including one beer, one glass of wine, or one drink of spirits.
- Patients with any combination of these risk factors and patients with a family history of oral cancer are considered at highest risk.
- Alarmingly, 27 percent of oral cancer victims have no lifestyle risk factors.
Oral Cancer Symptoms - Robert Gerber DDS Beverly Grove, Los Angeles
- Persistent mouth sores
- Persistent mouth pain
- Lumps or thickening of the cheeks
- White or red patches on the gums, tongue tonsil , or ling of the mouth
- A sore throat or feeling that something is caught in the throat that does not go away
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Difficulty moving the jaw or tongue
- Persistent numbness of the tongue or areas of the mouth
- Voice changes
- Lump in the neck
- Loosening or pain in the teeth or jaws